In this position, you will be at the center of all of the action.
This is a hybrid role where good news judgment is a must. You will spend part of your time running the assignment desk, dispatching crews, and calling on potential stories. You may occasionally be required to do some live reporting, streaming breaking news online from the assignment desk. The other portion of your time, you will be writing web stories and positing on our social media platforms. If this fast-paced position sounds interesting to you, please apply.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Writing for all WFXG platforms, on-air (tickers), website, social media, and mobile platforms.
- Create unique and interesting content, that makes WFXG.com stand out on social media.
- Listen to police and fire scanners for potential breaking news.
- Go live to report from the assignment desk when a reporter is not on site for timely breaking news.
- Make calls to confirm and coordinate potential stories.
- Dispatch news crews to story assignments.
- Grow WFXG’s audience, and help news personalities grow in key social media channels.
- Manage social media output across all channels, including use of SND, delivering a regular flow of posts every day.
- Keep our followers engaged, informed and entertained.
- Keep all WFXG teams informed about the field by sharing knowledge of new social media developments.
- Assist reporters, anchors, and other news staff in generating content for social media.
- Work with the News Producers to integrate content from social media into on-air content.
- Ensure that the brand standards are met across all platforms, while promoting the brand and its values at all opportunities.
Company Conformance Statements:
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Degree in journalism, mass communications or equivalent experience
- Minimum 1 year of newsroom experience preferred
- Strong aptitude for new technology
- Self-directing, self-motivating, with ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Competitive spirit and strong team collaborator
- Must be willing to work in Augusta, GA. , have a valid drivers license and good driving record.
Good eyesight and hearing, ability to walk up-stairs and sometimes long distances, ability to lift weights up to 20 pounds, ability to sit for a long period of time, ability to handle often stressful situations under deadline, good manual and overall physical dexterity.